Taproom Assistant Manager – Job Spec
At Gipsy Hill we’ve had a lot of fun over the last few years. Our team’s grown from 3 founders to 20 dedicated brewers, warehousers, sales chaps, marketeers, bar staff and more. We’ve opened two bars and we’ve never been happier with our beer quality. We’ve seen London, and the wider UK, blossom into a burgeoning craft beer hub, the biggest in Europe.
Quality is the bedrock of our craft beer movement, and too often it’s inconsistent. At Gipsy Hill, we are trying to lead the conversation about beer quality within breweries, pubs, bars, wholesalers and customers.
That’s why, for our new taproom next to the brewery, we’ve built the most advanced cellaring system that we know of in the UK. It has individual line temperature control, as well as 4 different settings for gas mixes, to keep the beer we serve in top condition. The same taproom will act as our barrel store while a larger site is found, and an R&D pilot brewhouse for 50L batches.
Community engagement and social inclusion is an important part of what we’re doing. We’re a fully wheelchair accessible site, with all tables accessible, as well as an accessible bar and loo. We’ll be regularly hosting a range of community events that promote inclusion and accessibility.
We want to be showcasing up to 50% Gipsy Hill beer, 50% guest beer, and we’re looking to source the best beer we can from across the world, with bar snacks and street-food vendors to match.
We’re looking for an Assistant Manager to help run the taproom site alongside a GM, and to be the head of beer, bar snack and street food purchasing using all the suppliers we know of, and many we don’t. We need a certifiable beer nerd, who cares about dispense, beer and customer education as much as the certainty of his / her next meal.
Taproom Assistant Manager – Role
- Serving: Beer serving duties, including encyclopaedic knowledge of what we’re offering (Gipsy and non-Gipsy), what’s special about it and why it’s different
- Ordering: Responsible for beer, bar snack and street food residents organisation
- Bar: Responsible for ensuring orderly execution of all day-to-day bar jobs
- Marketing: Some responsibility for social media and marketing of the venue and events in line with the voice of the venue and brewery.
- Site organisation: Ensuring cleanliness standards and organisation are always met
- Holiday is 20 days per year excluding public holidays
- Active salary-linked programme for Cicerone advancement
- Incentives for good performance
- Salary: TBD
- Hours: 35 per week
- Preferred: Level 1 Cicerone, with aspirations of moving onto Level 2, Level 3+ a bonus
Contact email@example.com with a cover letter and CV.